About PudukkottaiFondly called as 'Pudhugai', Pudukkottai is a town and a selection grade municipality located in the Pudukkottai district of Tamil Nadu.
The historic town is the administrative home base of the Pudukkottai district. Located 382 km away from the southern metropolis of Chennai (via NH45) and 54.6 km away from Tiruchirappalli district (via NH210), Pudukkottai is administrated by a selection grade municipality launched during the 1912 as per the act of Municipal Corporations in India.
History of PudukkottaiThe region houses several areas in and around that have credible traces of the oldest inhabitations of the human race and a few of the lithic records recognized in South India. The Pallavas, Pandyas, Cholas, Kalabhras, Mutharaiyars, Nayaks of Madurai, Muslim sultans, Vijayanagar kings, Thondaiman rulers and many other powers governed this region of the southern state of Tamil Nadu and furthered the communal administrations, business and adorned it with religious sites and memorials of distinguished merit.
Raghunatha Raya Tondaiman was the maiden ruler of Pudukkottai. Pudukkottai was gifted to him as an award. The Pudukkottai powers were loyal friends of the British East India Company and offered important logistical and armed forces back up during several wars that include the Carnatic Wars also known as Karnatic Wars (a series of armed forces battles in the midst of the 18th century), the Anglo-Mysore Wars (a series of wars fought between the British East India Company and the Kingdom of Mysore) and the Polygars Wars.
List of Tondaiman Rulers of Pudukkottai
- Raghunatha Raya Tondaiman (1686-1730)
- Vijaya Raghunatha Raya Tondaiman I (1730-1769)
- Raya Raghunatha Tondaiman (1769- December 1789)
- Vijaya Raghunatha Tondaiman (December 1789 - February 1, 1807)
- Vijaya Raghunatha Raya Tondaiman II (February 1, 1807 - June 1825)
- Raghunatha Tondaiman (June 1825 - July 13, 1839)
- Ramachandra Tondaiman (July 13, 1839 - April 15, 1886)
- Martanda Bhairava Tondaiman (April 15, 1886 - May 28, 1928)
- Rajagopala Tondaiman (October 28, 1928 - August 15, 1947)
List of Diwans of Pudukkottai
- A. Seshayya Sastri (1878-1894)
- R. Vedantacharlu (1894-1899)
- S. Venkataramadas Nayudu (1899-1909)
- Raghunatha Pallavarayar (1909-1924)
- K. Kunjunni Menon (1924-1929)
- G. Ganapati Sastriar (1929-1931)
After Indian independence, the Kingdom of Pudukkottai/Princely State of Pudukkottai was integrated with the Indian Union on April 3, 1948 and became an integral part of the Tiruchirappalli district. During 1974, the present day Pudukkottai district took shape from divisions of Tiruchirappalli (Trichy) and Thanjavur (Tanjore) districts.
Administrators of Pudukkottai
- B. G. Holdsworth (1931-1934)
- Alexander Tottenham (1934-1946)
- C. P. Karunakara Menon (1946-1948)
Geography and Demography of PudukkottaiThe geographic coordinates of Pudukkottai are 10.38°N 78.82°E. The total area of the city is 8.20 sq mi (21.25 sq.km.). The mean altitude of the city is recorded at 287.99 ft (87.78 m). Being located in the Valley of Vellar River, the urban center experiences a semi-arid climate with hot temperatures throughout the year, and comparatively low rainfall. The urban center has an unpatterned terrain with some rocky mounds located on the fringes.
The significant hills that surround the city of Pudukkottai include Athimalai, Urugumalai and Chennaimalai. Noyal, Amaravathy, Cauvery and Bhavani are some of the important rivers that course through the city. Red sandy and red loams are the two most important soil types of Pudukkottai. Some of the major crops of Pudukkottai include sugarcane, paddy and groundnut.
Climatic Conditions of PudukkottaiMaximum Temperature: 101.7 °F (38.7 °C)
Minimum Temperature: 67.3 °F (19.6 °C)
Hottest Months: April to June
Coldest Months: December to January
Average Annual Rainfall: 36.20 in (919.4 mm)
Scanty Rainfall Period: June to August
Wettest Months: October, November and December
Demographic Information of PudukkottaiPopulation of Pudukkottai (Census 2011): 117,215
Male Population: 58,601
Female Population: 58,614
Total Children (0-6): 10,853
Population Density: 6,800 per sq.km
Sex Ratio: 1,000 females for every 1,000 males
Child Sex Ratio: 950 girls for every 1,000 boys
Scheduled Castes: 11.87 percent of the total population
Scheduled Tribes: 0.06 percent of the total population
Average Literacy Rate: 92.19 percent
Total Literates: 98,054
Male Literates: 50,798
Female Literates: 47,256
Number of Households: 28,838
Administration of Pudukkottai
Pudukkottai is the central office of the Pudukkottai District.
Timeline of Pudukkottai Administration
- 1912 - Third Grade Municipality
- 1963 - First Grade Municipality
- 1998 - Selection Grade Municipality
- General Administration/Personnel
- Public Health
- City Planning
- Information Technology
Law and order in Pudukkottai city in well-kept by the Pudukkottai branch (sub division) of the Tamil Nadu Police (the principal law enforcement, government agency of the southern state of Tamil Nadu) led by a deputy superintendent. The city houses three regular police stations and one all women police station (AWPS).
Location of Pudukkottai Municipality
Pudukkottai Municipal Office,
Near Pudukkottai Old Bus Stand,
Pudukkottai - 622001
Pudukkottai Municipality Officials
S. Abdul Rahman
Transportation in PudukkottaiSeveral state highways and national highways connect Pudukkottai to the rest of the parts of the country. The two national highways that pass through Pudukkottai include
- National Highway 210 (NH 210): Runs from Trichy to Ramanathapuram. The total length of the national highway is 160 km, passing through major destinations which include Trichy - Pudukkottai - Karaikuudi - Ramanathapuram
- National Highway 226 (NH 226): Runs from Perambalur to Manamadurai. The total length of the national highway is 212 km, passing through major destinations which include Perambalur, Ariyalur, Thanjavur, Pudukkottai and Manamadurai
- Tamil Nadu State Highway 26 (SH-26): Runs from Trichy to Mimisal in Avadaiyarkoil, Pudukkottai. The total length of the state highway is 124 km, passing through Pudukkottai and Aranthangi
- Tamil Nadu State Highway 71 (SH-71): Runs from Musiri - Sethubavachatram
Roads in Pudukkottai
- Concrete Roads: 4.16 km
- Water Bound Macadam (WBM) Roads: 9.78 km
- Gravel Roads: 6 km
- Bituminous Roads: 100.4 km
- Footpaths: 2.5 km
Bus Transportation in Pudukkottai
The bus station in Pudukkottai is a Grade-B facility situated in the heart of the city. The State Express Transport Corporation (SETC) - a state-owned transport corporation of Tamil Nadu operates regular long distance bus services linking Pudukkottai to significant towns and cities like Tiruvannamalai, Tuticorin, Vellore, Chennai, Nagercoil, Pollachi, Pazhani and so on.
The Tamil Nadu State Transport Corporation (TNSTC) - public bus transport service provider and the world's largest bus corporation operate intercity bus services to several destinations which include Trichy, Tanjore, Devakottai, Rameswaram, Kumbakonam, Madurai, Karaikkudi and so on.
Rail Transportation in PudukkottaiLocated in the Nainar Colony in Pudukkottai town, Pudukkottai railway station serves the population of district of Pudukkottai. The railway station come under the under the functional ambit of Madurai Railway Division (Southern Railway Zone). The Pudukkottai railway station is a significant passing station located on the Trichy - Karaikkudi railroad line.
Daily and weekly express trains are available from Pudukkottai to Rameswaram, Pondicherry, Chennai, Kanyakumari, Varanasi and Bhubaneshwar. Some of the passenger train services from Pudukkottai include Tiruchirappalli, Karaikudi, Rameswaram, Manamadurai and so on.
Tidbits - Pudukkottai Railway Station
Railway Zone: Southern Railway Zone
Railway Division: Madurai
Location: Nainar Colony, Pudukkottai - 622003
Station Code: PDKT
Railroad Line(s): Tiruchirappalli - Karaikkudi
Number of Platforms: 03
Number of Tracks: 04
Air Transport in PudukkottaiThe nearest airport to Pudukkottai is Trichy International Airport (IATA: TRZ, ICAO: VOTR), which is approximately 55 km from Pudukkottai.
Quick Facts - PudukkottaiDistrict: Pudukkottai
Administration: Selection Grade Municipality
Total Area: 21.25 sq.km
Elevation: 287.99 ft above sea level
Population of Pudukkottai (Census 2011): 117,215
Languages: Tamil and English
Postal Code: 622 xxx
Telephone Code: 04322
- SHARE THIS
- TWEET THIS
- SHARE THIS
- LOVE THIS 0